This is the eighth update of 2008-2009, and we move forward with even more opportunities for professional development and other news related to technology use in our schools. You may choose to either receive future updates by e-mail or subscribe to it via your preferred RSS aggregator.
- Next Local District 5 Instructional Technology Leader Meeting
- Instructional Technology Outreach – Available Workshops
- Ed Tech Workshops Salary Point Class - May 2 and May 16, 2009
- Common Sense Schools Parent Media Education Program
- Infotech Conference and Parent Summit 2009 - April 25, 2009
1. Next Local District 5 Instructional Technology Leader Meeting
There is no meeting scheduled for April. The next volunteer technology leadership/coordinator meeting of 2008-2009 for Local District 5 will be held 3:30-5:15pm on Thursday, May 21, 2009 at the ITD ITTB Training Room 2, Local District 5, 2151 N. Soto Street, Los Angeles, CA 90032. We will use this time to share resources with each other and discuss issues facing instructional technology applications during our current educational climate.
2. Instructional Technology Outreach – Available Workshops
Instructional Technology Outreach of the Los Angeles County Office of Education is offering various workshops that focus on topics related to technology use in our schools. Below is a list of some of those workshops.
- Excel: Filter and Merge!, 04/14/09
- Classroom Productivity with iLife Suite, 04/18/09 or 05/05/09
- Google Tools for Educators, 04/22/09
- Desktop Publishing in the Office, 04/28/09
- Concepts in Early Literacy, 04/30/09
- Desktop Publishing for Students and Teachers, 05/06/09
- Creating Literature Trips with Google Earth, 05/13/09
- Curriculum in Action with iMovie 09, 05/16/09
- Adding Inspiration to the Curriculum, 05/20/09
For more information on any of the listed workshops or to enroll, please go to http://ito.lacoe.edu/workshops
3. Ed Tech Workshops Salary Point Class - May 2 and May 16, 2009
Ed Tech Workshops is offering a salary point class titled “Engage. Enrich. Energize. Technology Strategies for Engaging Students with Project-Based Learning”. This will be held at Monte Vista Elementary School, 5423 Monte Vista Street, Los Angeles, CA 90042 on Saturday, May 2, 2009 and Saturday, May 16, 2009, 8:00am – 1:00pm. To enroll, go to http://edtechworkshops.com/enrollment.html. For more information, contact David Boin, (818) 785-0164.
4. Common Sense Schools Parent Media Education Program
Schools can now utilize free materials to help parents raise smart, responsible kids in our media world. The Common Sense Schools Parent Media Education Program includes a sample parent letter, parent media survey, student media survey, family media agreement, tip sheets on various topics (i.e Internet safety, alcohol), videos, and workshop presentation slides and scripts. Register for these materials at http://www.commonsensemedia.org/schools.
5. Infotech Conference and Parent Summit 2009 - April 25, 2009
Please plan on attending the 13th Annual InfoTech Conference to be held in conjunction with the Parent Summit on Saturday, April 25, 2009 at the